Saturday 6 February 2016

Janet Jackson - Control - 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (A&M / 1986)

Time to break away from the club anthems for a while and on to something else...

Janet Jackson's "Control" was released on the 4th February 1986 and was preceded by the first single "What Have You Done For Me Lately" in January of the same year. That was when I first heard of Michael's relatively (to me anyway) unknown younger sister. On first hearing the single I was blown away as it was a millions miles away from "Thriller" in musical terms - in addition to being like nothing else around at the time either...

Then a couple of months later following the release of "Nasty" & "When I Think Of You" I managed to get my first listen of what I thought was Janet's first album - it might as well have been as her two previous releases, the eponymous "Janet Jackson" & "Dream Street" caused barely a ripple in the UK. It simply blew my mind! Tracks bordering on epic length, interludes, ass shaking beats and an unmistakable attitude that confirmed that Ms. Jackson had truly found her feet and was about to become a force to be reckoned with (how little we knew at time)...

Although the album contains only 9 tracks it spawned 7 top  60 UK hits (6 in the US of which 5 hit the Billboard Top 5). The tracks were released as follows (UK chart positions) :

What Have You Done For Me Lately (#3)
Nasty (#19)
When I Think Of You (#10)
Control (#42)
Let's Wait Awhile (#3)
The Pleasure Principle (#24)
Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun) (#59)

But that's not all. Each respective single (with the exception of "Funny..." which didn't have one) came with spectacular visuals, the sharpest choreography and Miss Jackson centre stage - she was (and still is) mesmerising....

The album reached the milestone of hitting it's 30th anniversary this year and so far there hasn't been any talk of re-releasing it as a deluxe edition - that's where I come in...
I've attempted to put together a definitive collection of this absolute masterpiece which includes the original studio recording alongside a plethora of mixes from the original 12" releases.
Further to this I've also included several mixes that were released at the time of "Design Of A Decade 1986 - 96". I've also included the stand alone single "Start Anew" that was released in Japan only in 1985 and was to be considered as part of the "Control" album prior to release but was eventually dropped from the tracklisting.

Finally, you can view Miss Jackson in all her glory as there are links to 5 of the videos released from 'Control'

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do...

Disc 1 : The Original Studio Album



1. Control
2. Nasty
3. What Have You Done For Me Lately
4. You Can Be Mine
5. The Pleasure Principle
6. When I Think Of You
7. He Doesn't Know I'm Alive
8. Let's Wait Awhile
9. Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)

Bonus Track :

10. Start Anew (Stand Alone Single - Japan Only 1985 Release)

Disc 2 : The Original 12" Mixes




1. Start Anew (Extended)
2. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Extended Version)
3. Nasty (Extended)
4. When I Think Of You (Dance Remix)
5. Nasty (Cool Summer Mix - Part One)
6. Control (Extended Version)
7. Let's Wait Awhile (Remix)
8. The Pleasure Principle (The Shep Pettibone Long Vocal Remix)
9. Nasty (Cool Summer Mix - Part Two)
10. Control (The Video Mix)

Disc 3 : The Original Edit / Dub / Accapella Mixes



1. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Edit)
2. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Accapella)
3. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Dub Mix)
4. Nasty (7" Edit Of The Remix)
5. Nasty (Accapella)
6. Nasty (Instrumental)
7. When I Think Of You (Extra Beats)
8. Control (Edit)
9. Control (Dub Mix)
10. Control (Accapella)
11. The Pleasure Principle (The Shep Pettibone Dub Edit)
12. The Pleasure Principle (Accapella)
13. The Pleasure Principle (The Shep Pettibone 7" Edit)

Disc 4 : '95 Remixes



1. When I Think Of You (David Morales House Mix '95 7" Mix)
2. When I Think Of You (David Morales Classic Club Mix)
3. When I Think Of You (David Morales Jazzy Mix UK Edit)
4. The Pleasure Principle (Legendary Radio Mix)
5. The Pleasure Principle (Legendary Club Mix)
6. The Pleasure Principle (Nu Flava Vocal Dub)
7. The Pleasure Principle (Banji Dub)
8. The Pleasure Principle (D.T. Twilo Dub)
9. When I Think Of You (Deep Dish Chocolate City Mix)
10. When I Think Of You (Deep Dish Quiet Storm Dub)
11. When I Think Of You (Dished Out Bums)

The Videos :

What Have You Done For Me Lately
Nasty
When I Think Of You
Control
The Pleasure Principle


Link : https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B83_lcjOnQkKUXMxaVFlemlYU28&usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment